Skip to main content

Thoughts on Survival


To think that providence would take a child from his mother while she prays, is appalling 
Who told us we'd be rescued? 
What has changed and why should we be saved from nightmares? 
We're asking why this happens to us who have died to live, it's unfair 
This is what it means to be held 
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life 
And you survive

This is an excerpt from the song I listened to on the ride home from work. It’s a pretty song, very melodic and “singable” as my mother would say.

But today the lyrics hit me especially hard after yesterday’s news about the drowning of a young man. His dad happens to have a pretty high-profile job in the community and Twitter was buzzing with well-wishes, prayers and condolences for this young man’s family. Rightfully so. I thought about how terrible, how nightmarish this must be for his parents. Then my thoughts turned again to the young man who was a victim of homicide in one of the city’s most impoverished areas. His parents don’t have high profile positions and no one, except maybe their neighbors, church members and family know them. No Twitter condolences for them. But yet, the grief is the same.


This hand is bitterness
We want to taste it and let the hatred numb our sorrows

Losing a child is unthinkable...unspeakable.  I found myself choking back tears for these families…and for some reason I remembered August 7 of 1952. It’s just a date to most people, but that day is part of my family’s narrative. It was the day of the accident that wiped out all of my extended family: my mom and my aunt’s other sister, brother, father and Mary Jane – a six year-old who was my aunt’s only child -- all died in the crash. How my aunt and my mom survived that, I’ll never know, especially when you consider that all this happened before people – especially black people – used therapy to work things out. But they survived.

The wise hand opens slowly to lilies of the valley and tomorrow 

It’s odd. My aunt’s been gone for about twenty years now; and although I’ve always known about “1952”, it was always a "remote" kind of memory.  Until today, I never completely made the connection between her grief for Mary Jane and the lifelong scar she carried over her loss...and her survival of it as well.

If hope is born of suffering
If this is only the beginning
Can we not wait, for one hour
Watching for our Savior
This is what it means to be held
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive

Hoping peace and survival for the families that have lost so much.

Comments

  1. losing a child is not something u would ever wish on ur worst enemy...

    the deeply profound emotional pain u eventually learn to live with engulfs every cell in your body and u can't imagine ever breathing again...

    u feel abandoned and all alone in ur grief and life as u know it will never be the same... u will never be the same...

    over time ur shattered heart will heal...but a piece will always be missing...

    and then, when someone else loses a child, ur heart breaks all over again......for them

    vm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could ever be that strong...you know?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil