Skip to main content

How Did I Get Here - Truth on the Road

The endless countryside is dotted with hay bales in random, yet organized rows. Then more hay bales, then meadows grasping on to the last greens of summers, then signs for rest stops, lodging and gas. Maybe a few cows and horses. Then more random hay bales.

We're probably at mile 175 of a 600 mile road trip to Pierce City, Missouri.

As rest/gas signs become fewer and fewer, my mind does what it always does: What would happen if we needed gas before the next exit? I imagine my daughter and I waiting roadside as my husband grows tinier in the distance, a lone figure walking into the sunrise with a telltale red gas container toward the next truck stop exit. 

In this imagined reality, I will myself into not complaining or being passive-aggressive (my specialty) even in the face of being stranded gas-less on some abandoned stretch of beat-up road in Wisconsin...even though my husband could've just stopped for gas when we were at a half tank, and he does have I am Captain America and I can do ALL THINGS tendencies.

Instead I decide this imagined reality would take too much energy so I just ask: 

How are we doing on gas?

Uh...we'll probably need to stop at the next exit. We've got about 50 miles left on the tank.

Ok. I tentatively, if not begrudgingly agree and swipe the imagined reality from my brain. Or at least I try to...pretty much.

That's the thing about road trips. They reveal who you are and shine a spotlight on truth in the unlikeliest of places -- like on that abandoned stretch of Wisconsin highway.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I liked who I was at that gas crisis moment.

Truth continued following us as we made our way to Pierce City, Missouri.

Our first stop was St. Louis.

Truth gurgled in the hotel's hot tub. It didn't bubble and barely made a wave. You could hear yourself talk above the gurgles, unlike a working hot tub. But my husband liked it anyway and immediately, comfortably plopped himself down.

These are my feet. Feet are weird.
Okay...maybe it's just my feet that are weird.
Soon, two other couples around our age came along. They twisted on the controllers in futility as I called out That's as good as it's going to get. More truth. They accepted that truth and plopped in with my husband anyway.

I chatted with one of the wives, and chatting somehow stumbles people upon unexpected topics. Like health challenges. She was honest about hers -- and I knew that when our eyes met, and I was honest too as we chatted. I liked her. A lot. Now my husband, her husband and her and I are Facebook friends. Which is cool because I genuinely care about them now. *waves hello*

The next day my family went on to the Gateway Arch Museum and were pleasantly surprised that history was being truthfully told.

The whole truth is everyone's truth.

All of it helped me re-discover how truth can educate us about ourselves and reveal invisible bonds of humanity that ultimately connect us.

Of course, there was even more truth revealed as we sojourned on the next day to Pierce City.

More on that later.

Almost forgot, click here for our toad trip playlist. A word of warning: it's everything from K-Pop to Country to Grunge to Prog-Rock to Yacht Rock in no certain order.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil