Skip to main content

Corona Diaries: It's A Lot and Evergreen

When I came back from our family trip to Pierce City, Missouri a few years ago, my dear friend wanted to know all the details. We met for lunch and I told her that, yes, my daughter, my husband and I stood at the graveside of my third-great grandmother who was born in 1795.


That we even took pictures of the expansive greenspace where my second great-grandfather’s house once stood before he and his step-son had a firefight with an angry mob who torched the place with them in it. It’s quiet, pastoral and unassuming.


That we stood on the land my ancestors used to own before they were driven from it.


And that, yes, we held vigil with a small group from the community on the very ground where an ancestor was lynched that night in 1901.


You should really write a book about this, she nudged. Maybe if I can sort it all out in my head. It’s just a lot. 


I mean, I wished I had a picture taken of my daughter and I by our maternal ancestor’s grave. I can still feel the rugged rock and rough engraving of the inscription as I traced it with my finger, but I wish I had would've had that picture taken, instead of a lonely ancient grave without any living offspring


I wished I could’ve sorted my feelings out in my head and eloquently put them in words, but they seem tangled in my struggle with the indignity of dying an innocent death all those years ago.

That the description of my ancestor’s demeanor who was lynched reminds me of my brother in an acute way. Like, how my mind's eye can see that man as my brother dying a silent, righteously indignant death at the hands of a frothing, willfully ignorant mob.


And how if I talk about any of that piece of the story, I find myself swallowing back a crying lump.


It's a lot.


How I felt privileged that this reporter, who captured the story of my family, continues speaking their names and telling their stories in word and in person. That he was the link to a story about my own family that my family either never talked about or knew about.



It’s a lot.


Here we are two years later, shut up, but maybe not shut up. Wearing masks or not wearing masks. Cell phones recording the Barbecue Bettys who've got law enforcement on speed dial, anti-maskers who believe grocery store staff are the enemy; citizens turned protestors, and a global awakening of sorts to...


...deaths occurring during/or as a result of police intervention.


Covid’s changed a lot of things, but not that.


This year's Democratic Convention scheduled in Milwaukee has gone virtual. So I watched tonight with the windows open, while enjoying a respite from week-long humidity.


I listened to the drumbeat of calls for and promises of equity and racial justice. It is a platform that might’ve spared my ancestors’ lives and set my entire family on a different trajectory way back when.


Then came the virtual roll call vote for nomination. Maybe my penchant for the political comes from my second great-grandfather who was President of the Colored Voters organization. He too was a lynching victim that night.


Anyway, someplace in between Rhode Island’s nomination (including calamari), I thought I heard horns beeping outside. Like, incessantly beeping. And also chanting. A quick check on our neighborhood page confirmed that there was a demonstration happening two blocks away.


They were chanting BLACK LIVES MATTER on this, the one hundred-nineteenth anniversary of a triple lynching in my family and banishment from land that could've been passed down to my generation.


It’s an evergreen chant. A comforting echo through my neighborhood and my heart. And a tragedy that it still has to be said.


It’s a lot.



Comments

  1. We had seven people come to the candlelight vigil tonight, six who had never come before. I spoke for an hour, taking them back to 1845 when Judah Godley and her children came to Pierce City as a slave, going through the diaspora. To see the rapt interest is heartening, and yet I knew they had not heard this before. There is a hunger for knowledge, for these stories, that justifies the retelling. I hope the seeds grow, and the hunger for justice grows with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you continue to say their names and tell their stories is priceless. I love that new people are discovering the story...and are hungry for knowledge. I hope to make another pilgrimage to Pierce City when (not if) life finds its new normal.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Rochelle, I was one of the seven attending last night's vigil to remember your slain family. I have attended the service several times and am blown away each time I hear the details, as if I am hearing it for the first time. I met you and your family two years ago when you visited. Murray is a powerful speaker, and I am always moved by his generosity at sharing his vast knowledge surrounding the events of that night in 1901. The loss of your family was tragic. I am so sorry it happened. I can only imagine how the possibility of diversity in Lawrence County, MO, might have enriched us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for choosing to remember my family...and I'm guessing you probably knew the history before I discovered it. So thank you for that. Truly. Thank you for connecting with me personally when we visited two years ago. That was an experience I'll never forget.

      While the loss was tragic, the blessing is that my family is still here and thriving and that people like yourself continue to listen, and share their story.

      xo

      Delete
  3. The last time I was able to attend was when you and your family were there in 2018. I admire your spirit in searching out the history of that terrible time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil