Skip to main content

Corona Diaries: Planting In The Dark

Nearly one year into COVID quarantine, and we’re still in darkness. I still believe hoping in darkness: that unseen good things thrive, grow and bloom in the darkest of places. 

Today felt like another dark day in a long stretch of dark days, so I decided to intentionally eat my feelings on days like these as I have done for roughly ten of the eleven months of lockdown. 

Pioneer Woman’s BestEver Lasagna fit the bill for the day’s emotional eating. I set out meats for defrosting as my daughter and husband set out for shopping at the local hardware store and Target. 

They got back home as the meat sauce simmered; and after settling in with her newfound Target treasures, my daughter offered to pitch in with lasagna assembly. 

This, in of itself, is any parent’s reason to rejoice, but when you are the parent of an artistic kid with specific and precise aesthetic expectations, an offer to help with lasagna assembly is less help and more annoyance. 

But I said Yeah sure. I inhaled, exhaled and waited for the fifteen minute assembly to evolve into a hour-long ordeal. 

As she meticulously placed each piece, I blurted out Seriously, just put the noodles on the base, okay? It doesn’t have to be perfect. But she was already in a different zone even as I needed to slam my face into dinner and emotionally gorge myself. 

Then, a funny thing happened. 

You know… (Lord give me patience, I prayed) … this reminds me of that time when we made lasagna and cookies for that family. 

Wait, what? 

Yeah. Remember that time we made a family in need a couple pans of lasagna, and we got a whole bunch of cookies for them? We delivered it and then they took us on a kind of tour of their house. Remember?


Honestly, in that moment, I had no idea of what she was talking about. Then I panicked and wondered whether my non-memory was an early flag of dementia.

She kept prattling on as I wondered and worried. But I kept listening. 

I was around eight or nine, and I remember feeling like it was out of my comfort zone because we didn’t even know them, but I always remembered that you said we needed to help people. 

Oof.

That whole memory is fuzzy at best, but what I can tell you is it happened during a dark, dark time. It was when I had a grown-up job tied to many commitments outside of, but also related to my job.

In that particular brand of darkness, I was the sole school drop-off and pick-up and was always – always on deck to take a time off work in the case she’d wake up with a fever and/or duck out of work if she got sick during the day. 

They were the days when I would double-back home on lunch breaks to prep dinners replete with step-by-step instructions if I knew it’d be a late night. 

During those days, I’d get sick twice a year. It was the same dark time when I explicably lost at least forty pounds without even trying. 

My fuzzy memory recalled being hyper-conscious of intentionally setting an example of helping people as much as we were able. 

But yet, her memory is that "we need to help people".

I guess it’s just weird how you can plant seeds in darkness when you don’t even know you’re doing it. Like maybe there’s a germination period that happens, and then the seasons do their magic. Farmers could tell you more about that than I could. 

What I can tell you is that today, my kiddo let me know that some seeds planted in darkness took root in her. 

When it's dark, let's remember that we're planting good seeds…even if they’re only fuzzy memories for us a few years down the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil