Skip to main content

Did I Grow Up Poor? You Tell Me.

"I had to walk to school. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways."

I've never clucked that at my daughter, but I make darn sure that she knows we're blessed. Our family does and has things that would have been unthinkable to my husband or me as children. We've taken a family trip to Disneyworld. Sure it was over three years ago, but we did it.

We've never had to negotiate with WE Energies to avoid a gas or electricity shut-off, but I remember my mom wrangling those kinds of phone calls more than once.  So, despite the stats that say ours is the first generation that is not doing better than their parents, in many respects, I think we are.  In fact, Georgia reminded me of it just this morning. Out of the clear blue, she asked:

"Was Grandma GeeGee poor?

Grandma GeeGee is my late mother. Georgia never got to know her, but I tell plenty of stories about Grandma GeeGee, and stories that help Georgia understand how much easier her life is than mine ever was as a kid. Those stories must have stuck, because she was really wondering if I grew up poor.

The fact is that my dad (who's also deceased) worked for thirty years at AO Smith , a factory that like so many of the factories in Milwaukee, has moved overseas.
He took his vacations in the summer, but instead of vacationing, he painted the houses of rich suburbanites for extra money. In between all of that, he was an associate pastor at our church and picked up a few bucks marrying, burying and baptizing people. Not necessarily in that order.

These days, my mom would wear the trendy crown of SAHM, but back in the 70's "working moms" were the exception -- not the norm.
She added to the family income by watching the kids of the emerging generation of moms entering the workplace. She also gave voice lessons here and there until the family dog started "singing" along with one of her students.

On the flip side, we owned a large home in a nice neighborhood. As kids, we were all given excellent educations; and traveled in show choirs, participated in sports, theater and whatever lessons that interested us at the time

If things had been different, say: if my parents only had one child instead of four; or if we had attended free public schools versus tuition-based Christian schools, those utility shut-off notices probably wouldn't have come and we probably would've taken annual vacations.

My parents had decided that sacrificing made more sense than cutting back on the quality of education, or more sense than cutting back on the number of children in the family for that matter. (Which is a good thing because I'm the youngest) Their clothes were dowdy. Only my dad had winter boots, and that was because he walked five miles to and from work in the snow.  We never heard complaints from either of them. Sacrificing was just part of the deal.

Some people might think my upbringing was poor because we didn't do or have some of the extra-extra curriculars, but I don't. In fact, I think we were actually richer for it; and that's what I told my daughter this morning. I think she got it, but that's a pretty heady concept for a nine year old, even a smart one like her. But that's okay.

The whole conversation -- or monologue as it was -- convinced me that in some ways we're better off than the generation before. But I think they've got us beaten by a mile when it comes to sacrifice.


Comments

  1. The summer spent at your house is one of the most cherished of my life. It certainly was an education in cross cultures -- and humor --- OMG, LOTS of humor!!!!!
    Larry Young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't have traded it for anything, Larry. And I know that my mom wouldn't have had it any other way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil